Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

  • Working in Retirement

    Jan 26, 2023, 3:23 PM By MOSERS

    Can one still draw their MOSERS pension, if they take a position with a Missouri Community College that participates in the PSRS retirement system?

    Yes, a MOSERS retiree may take a position and continue to receive their MOSERS pension benefit as long as the position is not a MOSERS or MoDOT and Patrol Employees’ Retirement System (MPERS) benefit-eligible position. Please view the full list of MOSERS covered employers

    If the position is with a MOSERS covered employer in a non-benefit eligible position, the retiree must first meet the termination and reemployment rules.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • W-2 or 1099-R?

    Jan 25, 2023, 3:52 PM By MOSERS
    When will we get our W2 to file taxes

    Your W-2 form shows income you have earned from your employer and comes from your employer, not from MOSERS. You will need to reach out to your employer for your W-2.

    MOSERS provides retirees and benefit recipients with a 1099-R tax form. We will mail your 1099-R forms by the end of January. You can also access it online by logging into myMOSERS. You will find it under Personal Information and available for you to print. This form lists your 2022 retirement benefit income from MOSERS. You will need this form to file your income tax return. If you receive more than one benefit from MOSERS, you may receive more than one 1099-R from us. If you are unable to log in to myMOSERS, call us at (800) 827-1063 or (573) 632-6100 and we can assist you. For security reasons, we cannot email it to you.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Tax Withholding Authorization and IRS W-4P

    Jan 23, 2023, 10:41 AM By MOSERS
    I wanted to change my federal withholding. Has the format changed?? the forms i was using do not appear

    Yes, the new forms, Tax Withholding Authorization and IRS W-4P, are required as of January 1, 2023, in order to change your withholding amounts. It does look different than the form from previous years. Please keep in mind the following:

    • If you wish to change the amount of taxes being withheld, please submit both the MOSERS form (Tax Withholding Authorization) and the IRS form (W-4P).
    • If you are a retiree who is already having taxes withheld, your current withholding remains in effect, and you do not need to submit new forms unless you want to make changes.
    • Please visit the Taxes page on our website for more information.
    • MOSERS staff cannot advise you on how to fill out tax forms or your tax liability as it pertains to your MOSERS pension. We suggest you contact the IRS and/or a qualified tax advisor about your tax liability and to determine your withholding amounts.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Understanding Benefit Estimates and Your High 36

    Jan 20, 2023, 11:05 AM By MOSERS

    Do the estimates for backdrop and monthly pension amounts project your current highest salary in the next 36 months regardless if you will be employed for the next 36 months? For example if my highest salary is achieved in January 2023 at $3,000/month but I plan to retire in January 2025 does it use that salary for the 36 months calculation for the estimates or can it pull it 24 months at $3000 and 12 months at $2500 (old salary) and average those? Numbers are for illustrative purposes.

    Estimates are based on your final average pay (FAP), which is your highest consecutive 36 months of pay relative to the retirement date entered. When you run a benefit estimate of your own, it will project your current salary until the retirement date you entered. The system will look at your entire pay history to find your FAP/highest 36 consecutive months. That means part of your FAP may be in the future and part of it may be in the past – as long as it is 36 consecutive months. The closer you get to your retirement date, the more accurate your benefit estimate will be.

    Please note:

    • Wait for a pay raise to be reflected in our system before running an estimate. (If you get a pay raise this month, it will be reported to MOSERS next month, so for a January pay raise, our system won’t have that information and it won’t be reflected in an estimate until mid-February.)
    • If you run an estimate that includes BackDROP, any pay earned during the BackDROP period you elect is not considered in your FAP.
    • It’s important to remember that a benefit estimate is just that, an estimate, not a guarantee. They are as accurate as the assumptions used to produce them. See Calculating Your Benefit Estimate for more information.

    Based on your example and assumed date of retirement, your estimate would include a salary of $3,000 for 24 months and a salary of $2500 for 12 months for your FAP. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • 1099-R Forms Coming Soon

    Jan 19, 2023, 11:12 AM By MOSERS

    When will 1099Rs be available online?

    1099-Rs will be available in your Document Express online mailbox by the end of January. You can access it by logging in to myMOSERS. From there you will find it under Personal Information. If you prefer a hard copy, you are welcome to print it from myMOSERS or wait for it via mail. We will mail all forms by the end of January as well.

    This form lists your 2022 retirement benefit income from MOSERS. You will need this form to file your income tax return. If you receive more than one benefit from MOSERS, you may receive more than one 1099-R from us.  

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • The MSEP 2011 and Purchasing Military Service

    Jan 17, 2023, 9:51 AM By MOSERS

    Hello, I served in the active duty military and I am now in the Army Reserves. I heard that I can buy retirement time. Is this true? 

    MSEP 2011, which is set by state statute, does not allow for a purchase of prior active-duty miliary service credit. However, members of MSEP 2011 may be eligible for automatic credit for military service if they were employed by the state immediately prior to entering active-duty military service and then return to state employment within the timeframe specified by the USERRA. 

    This is based on state law. Any changes must be passed by the Missouri General Assembly. We are not aware of any such proposals being filed so far this session, however, you can track proposed legislation on our Legislation page and view the 2023 MOSERS Legislative Tracking Sheet for more information. 

    If you have additional questions, please refer to our Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2011 Members or contact a MOSERS benefit counselor for more information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Returning to Work and Receiving a Pension

    Jan 13, 2023, 9:50 AM By MOSERS

    How much can I earn working part time in the university system while still drawing a small pension from MOSERS?

    Upon meeting the termination and reemployment rules, you may return to work and continue receiving your monthly pension payment, as long as your position is not a MOSERS or MoDOT and Patrol Employees’ Retirement System (MPERS) benefit-eligible* position. Please view the list of MOSERS covered employers. There is no limit on how much you earn.

    However, if you return to work for the state of Missouri in a MOSERS or MPERS benefit-eligible* position:

    • Your monthly pension payment will stop.
    • Depending on various factors (your plan, how long you work, etc.), you may or may not earn additional credited service during reemployment.

    When you retire again, your monthly pension payment will equal the amount you were receiving when you returned to work plus any additional benefit you may have earned during reemployment.

    *Benefit Eligible Position: It is the responsibility of the employer, not MOSERS, to determine if a position is eligible for MOSERS benefits. Generally speaking, an employee must work in a position normally requiring at least 1,040 hours per year to qualify for MOSERS benefits. The number of hours required by a position should be based on the number of hours expected during the normal course of business over a one-year period by position, regardless of whether the position is intended to be temporary or permanent in nature.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Postponing Retirement After Applying

    Jan 9, 2023, 3:41 PM By MOSERS

    I have applied for retirement with a retirement date of 3-1-2023. If I decide in mid February 2023 that I want to continue working instead of retiring on 3-1-2023, am I able to so so? If so, what do I need to do to move my retirement date further out, such as 5-1-2023?

    Yes, you may postpone your retirement.

    If you have already submitted a Retirement Application and decide to postpone your retirement date, you must send a written notice to MOSERS. We must receive your written notice prior to issuing your first benefit payment (ideally by mid-February in the situation described). Once your first benefit payment has been mailed or electronically transferred by MOSERS, your retirement election is irrevocable and cannot be changed. You may submit this request on paper or by email to  from an email address we already have on file for you.

    Your new retirement date must be the first of the month and within 120 days of the date of your application. If you choose a date that is more than 120 days from the date of your application, you must complete a new application.

    Example: If you filed your application on January 6 for a March 1 retirement date, you may postpone until April 1 or May 1 since those dates are within 120 days of January 6. If you decide to postpone your retirement until June 1 or later, you must submit a new application since June 1 is more than 120 days from January 6. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Leaving State Employment after Becoming Vested

    Dec 14, 2022, 11:41 AM By MOSERS
    Hello, I wanted to know ...Now that I am vested if I leave my employment and take my MOSERS money how much would that be? Also, currently, I contribute .4 percent, can I increase that amount? Thank you!

    Once you are vested (5 years of service for general state employees), you are eligible to receive a future pension benefit from MOSERS, even if you leave state employment. Once you reach retirement age and complete the retirement process, you will receive a monthly pension payment for your lifetime.

    You cannot increase your 4% employee contributions that go into the MOSERS trust fund, but you can certainly increase the amount of supplemental savings that you put in MO Deferred Comp. For many state employees, income in retirement comes from three sources:

    1. Your MOSERS defined benefit pension (based on your years of service and final average pay)
    2. Social Security retirement benefits
    3. Supplemental personal savings, such as with MO Deferred Comp

    Another thing to consider is that, even if you aren’t vested, you may leave your employee contributions with the System if you think you might return to work for the state at some point in the future and would like for those years of service to count toward an eventual retirement benefit.  

    However, if you leave state employment, you may request a refund of your employee contributions plus any credited interest. By law, there is a 90-day waiting period before we can issue a refund. By taking a refund, your forfeit all your credited service. You can log in to myMOSERS and find your total employee contributions plus any interest. Once logged in, click on the Personal Information tab. Then, click on Contribution Calculator. Scroll all the way to the bottom for your accumulated balance. If you are unable to log in, you may contact a MOSERS benefit counselor for your balance. See our Employee Contributions brochure for more information.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Where do contributions go?

    Dec 8, 2022, 10:27 AM By MOSERS
    hello, I just have a general question when it comes to my state of Missouri paystub and MOSERS. On my paystub there is a line called "MOSERS RET 2011 PLAN FRNG PAY". When you hover over it, it says to see MOSERS for more information about the MOSERS 2011 plan. The amount that it says the state is contributing is 621 per paycheck and 12000 YTD. What I am trying to figure out is that the state calculates this as part of my Retirment package but I cannot find out where this money is going?

    We are unable to see members’ paystubs so we can’t speak definitively to that information. Please speak with your employer regarding your pay stub details.

    However, it sounds like you are referring to your employer’s contributions to MOSERS. As a member of MSEP 2011, you are part of the contributory defined benefit pension plan. By law, you contribute 4% of your pay toward your future pension benefits. Your employer also contributes a percentage of your payroll toward your future retirement benefits. Employee and employer contributions go into the MOSERS trust fund. The third and largest source of System funding is investment income. 

    You can log in to myMOSERS and find your total employee contributions plus any interest. Once logged in, click on the Personal Information tab. Then, click on Contribution Calculator. Scroll all the way to the bottom for your accumulated balance. If you are unable to log in, you may contact a MOSERS benefit counselor for your balance. 

    As a member of MSEP 2011, if you leave state employment, you may request a refund of your employee contributions plus any interest. By taking a refund, you forfeit your service and eligibility for future retirement benefits. Alternatively, when eligible, you can retire and receive a monthly pension benefit for life. Your monthly benefit is based on your final average pay and years of service.

    Please see our Employee Contributions brochure (MSEP 2011 & Judicial Plan 2011) and the MSEP 2011 web page for more information. 

    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.