Hearing Rumors? Not sure your co-worker has it right?

Rumor Central has the answers! Submit your question or just browse our blog to separate facts from fiction.

Subscribe to Rumor Central

Subscribe to receive a monthly email that includes answers to recent Rumor Central questions.

Log in to myMOSERS. Click on Personal Information, then on Email Options. Check the box next to Rumor Central

  • Am I Eligible for Pre-Tax Medical Premiums in Retirement?

    Jan 11, 2024, 11:33 AM By MOSERS
    Why are retirees not eligible for pre-tax of medical premiums?
    MOSERS cannot withhold medical premiums for retirees on a pre-tax basis because to be pre-tax, they must go through the cafeteria plan. Contributions to the cafeteria plan may only be from active employee wages. Cafeteria Plan guidelines state that only active employees are eligible for the plan.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Can You Continue MO Deferred Comp Contributions in Retirement?

    Jan 5, 2024, 2:30 PM By MOSERS
    Can you continue to make payroll deducted contributions to a deferred comp account after retirement?

    No. Once you leave state employment – for retirement or any other reason – you can no longer make contributions to the MO Deferred Comp Plan. You can keep the money you saved throughout your career with the state in deferred comp after you separate from service. By doing so, you can continue to utilize all the unique features the plan has to offer, such as:

    • Access to MO Deferred Comp’s custom, low-cost investment options.
    • The ability to roll-in and consolidate retirement savings plans from previous employers.
    • Withdraw your 457 contributory source funds, penalty-free, after you leave state employment.
    • Enjoy easy and flexible withdrawals in retirement.
    • Individualized help from the plan’s financial education professionals.
    If you return to full-time or part-time state employment, you can once again contribute to the MO Deferred Comp Plan. In this case, your contributions will start again at what was previously on file with the plan.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Annual Leave Payout

    Jan 2, 2024, 4:12 PM By MOSERS
    I plan on retiring in two years and will have annual leave to be paid out. Will it be paid out on my final paycheck, or will I have to wait for it?
    The amount of your unused annual leave/vacation has no impact on your MOSERS pension benefits. Each agency may have different policies related to annual leave final payouts. We recommend that you inquire with your agency’s human resources office about their employee policies and guidelines for annual leave payouts before retirement.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • How is the FAP calculated?

    Dec 12, 2023, 12:00 AM By MOSERS
    I understand that a person's retirement is based on the FAP of their three highest years worked. If a person retires in the middle of the year, is the FAP figure for fiscal year, or from date of retirement?

    When you retire, you will get a monthly pension benefit for life. Your base benefit is calculated using a formula, as defined by law, using the following factors:

    • Final Average Pay (FAP) – The average of your highest 36 consecutive months of pay
    • Multiplier – A number established by the legislature
    • Credited Service – Your years and months of credited service earned, purchased, or transferred, and unused sick leave (if applicable)

    (Base benefit is the amount before any reductions, taxes, or other deductions.)

    To answer your question specifically, the FAP is based on the highest 36 consecutive months in your pay history, not on fiscal years. For most people that ends up being at the end of their state service, but not always.  

    This does not apply to members who elect BackDROP at retirement. To be eligible for BackDROP, you must continue working in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position for at least two years beyond your normal retirement eligibility. If you elect BackDROP at retirement, any pay earned during the BackDROP period does not count in your “high 36”. BackDROP is available only to eligible general state employees in MSEP or MSEP 2000.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Why Only 1,040 Hours per Year?

    Oct 27, 2023, 8:16 AM By MOSERS
    I was wondering why retired state employees are only allowed to work 1040 hours per year. Is this something that can be changed? I think if that number was changed to where retired employees could work 3 days or so a week you would get more to participate. And with the shortage that DOC is going through right now finding good dependable employees I believe this could only help. Thank You for your assistance. Full disclosure I am currently working for DOC part time.

    MOSERS must administer the retirement plans according to applicable state and federal laws. With respect to retiree reemployment, state law generally requires payments to be paused when a retiree returns to employment:

    "Employee" shall be any person who is employed by a department and is paid a salary or wage by a department in a position normally requiring the performance of duties of not less than one thousand forty hours per year. RSMo 104.1003.1(13).

    If a retiree is employed as an employee by a department, the retiree shall not receive an annuity payment for any calendar month in which the retiree is so employed . . . . RSMo 104.1039.

    In other words, as long as a retiree does not work more than an average of 2-1/2 days per week (which would mean working fewer than 1,040 hours per year), the retiree will continue to receive retirement benefits.
    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Temporary benefit & early retirement

    Oct 24, 2023, 2:31 PM By MOSERS
    Is the temporary benefit available under early retirement or strictly rule of 80?

    No, the temporary benefit is not available to those who elect early retirement. You will receive a temporary benefit only if you are a general state employee who is younger than the age of 62 and you retire under normal retirement with the MSEP 2000 (“Rule of 80”) or MSEP 2011 (“Rule of 90”).

    If you retire under the "Rule of 80" (MSEP 2000) or the "Rule of 90" (MSEP 2011), in addition to your base benefit, the temporary benefit provides you with an additional benefit until age 62. The formula for the temporary benefit is: Final Average Pay (FAP) x .008 (Multiplier) x Credited Service = Temporary Benefit. At age 62, the temporary benefit ends but your base benefit continues.

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • 75 & Out Rumor

    Oct 16, 2023, 12:00 AM By MOSERS
    Hello. I've been hearing rumor that retirement might be changing from 80 and out to 75 and out. Is this true? If so, where do I find out more information about it? Thanks for your help.

    No, we are not aware of any legislative proposals related to a “75 and out” retirement. MOSERS administers retirement benefits, but we do not have the authority to change plan provisions. Any change to the Rule of 80/”80 & Out” (or any other state employee pension provisions) would require a change in the law. Anytime the Missouri General Assembly is in session, you can follow any bills affecting MOSERS on our Legislation page.


    MSEP Members

    • Age 65 + 5 years of service
    • Age 60 + 15 years of service
    • “Rule of 80” – (at least age 48) when age + years of service = 80 or more


    MSEP 2000 Members

    • Age 62 + 5 years of service
    • “Rule of 80” – (at least age 48) when age + years of service = 80 or more


    MSEP 2011 Members

    • Age 67 + 5 years of service
    • “Rule of 90” – (at least age 55) when age + years of service = 90 or more at time of termination


    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Do COLAs Continue after the Temporary Benefit Ends?

    Sep 13, 2023, 1:37 PM By MOSERS
    Upon retirement: MSEP 2000 Once the temporary benefit goes away at age 62. Do you still receive a COLA on your monthly draw thereafter yearly if available? Thank you.

    Yes. General state employees who retire under MSEP 2000 or MSEP 2011, who are eligible for the temporary benefit, will continue to receive an annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) on their continuing base benefit after their temporary benefit ends. 

    Any COLAs associated to the temporary benefit, and the temporary benefit itself, will end directly after the member’s 62nd birthday. To learn more, see our Cost-of-Living Adjustments page. 

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Can I Transfer Service from Another State?

    Sep 12, 2023, 8:42 AM By MOSERS

    I worked for the state of Arkansas for 4 years and I have retirement through APERS. Could I transfer my retirement from APERS to MOSERS? If so, what are the steps that I need to do in order to do that?

    No. The law does not allow you to purchase or transfer service from another state to MOSERS.

    Depending upon your plan membership (MSEPMSEP 2000, or MSEP 2011), once you are vested, you may be able to purchase or transfer service acquired in the state of Missouri. With the exception of prior military service, it must be full-time, nonfederal, public (government) employment, and rendered in Missouri, such as the following types of service:

    • Service with MODOT or the Missouri Highway Patrol
    • Service with a city, county, or public school in Missouri
    • Prior military service

    Purchasing or transferring service may increase your pension benefit, make you eligible for retirement sooner, or both. For more information contact a MOSERS benefit counselor and see

    Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP (Closed Plan) Members

    Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2000 Members

    Purchasing and Transferring Service Guide for MSEP 2011 Members

    Print Friendly and PDF
  • Part-Time Employment

    Sep 1, 2023, 11:32 AM By MOSERS
    I worked for the state starting in June 2003 and left in April 2021. If I accepted a part time position, would it count toward my retirement? Or would it need to be a part time position specifically WITH benefits? And if it did count, would it be at the 50% rate and could possibly be considered as toward my high 3 years (I assume would need to work 6 years in this case) if two years equaled one? 

    For potential part-time employment to count toward your future pension benefit, it must be in a benefit-eligible position. It is the responsibility of the employer, not MOSERS, to determine if a position is eligible for MOSERS benefits. Generally speaking, an employee must work in a position normally requiring at least 1,040 hours per year to qualify for MOSERS benefits. 

    Pension benefits for general state employees are calculated using the formula: Final Average Pay (FAP) x Multiplier x Credited Service = Monthly Base Benefit

    When we calculate your future pension benefit, we would not “convert it to 50%”. If you worked for three years in a benefit-eligible position, you would accrue an additional three years of service. When you retire, we will look at your entire MOSERS-covered pay history (excluding any time during a BackDROP period) and find your highest 36 consecutive months of pay. For most members, that occurs during their final three years but not in all situations. Your question is a good example of when a member’s “high 36” may not be during their last three years.

    Once your potential employer has notified you if it is a benefit-eligible position or not, we encourage you to contact a MOSERS benefit counselor to further discuss your specific situation.

    Print Friendly and PDF




We strive to provide the most accurate information possible in our answers to Rumor Central questions. However, occasionally, laws, policies or provisions change and individual circumstances may vary. Please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor or see the handbooks in our website Library for more detailed information. If there is any difference between the information provided in this blog or on the MOSERS website and the law or policies that govern MOSERS, the law and policies will prevail. See our Privacy, Security & Legal Notices for more information.