You may be eligible to continue some of your MOSERS life insurance into retirement to help protect your loved ones from financial hardship.
Basic Retiree Coverage
- If you retire within 60 days of leaving state employment, the state will continue to provide you with $5,000 of coverage at no cost to you.
- If you wish to do so, you have 60 days from your retirement date to port or convert any remaining basic life insurance through Standard Insurance Company (The Standard).
As part of your basic member coverage, you and your family are automatically eligible for Travel Assistance. This includes help with trip planning, lost travel documents, and emergency medical or legal resources while you are away from home. Call the number in the Travel Assistance Flyer or download the app to access these services.
Life Services Toolkit
View the Life Services Toolkit by entering the username "assurance" for information and tools on estate and financial planning and funeral arrangements. The toolkit includes information and a variety of resources for you and your family including resources for grief support and legal services in the event of your death.
Optional Retiree and Dependent Coverage
Purchase or Increase Coverage Prior to Retirement
Complete and submit the Enrollment/Change-Optional Life Insurance and Standard Medical History Statement at myMOSERS if you want to increase your coverage.
- The Standard will contact you directly if they need additional information.
- Acceptance is not automatic.
- Allow adequate time (two to three months) to complete the application process.
Retain Coverage After Retirement
If you retire within 60 days of leaving state employment, or retire directly from active employment, you may be eligible to retain some of your optional life insurance coverage.
- You may retain up to $60,000 in coverage if you are a member of the MSEP. Your coverage cannot exceed the amount your carried while actively employed.
- You may retain all of your optional coverage until age 62 if you are a general state employee who retired under the “Rule of 80” (MSEP 2000) or the “Rule of 90” (MSEP 2011). At age 62, your coverage will automatically reduce to a maximum of $60,000.
To keep your optional coverage, you must submit the Retain/Change Optional Life Insurance form (available at myMOSERS). Use the same form to reduce or terminate your coverage at any time.
- Once you terminated coverage, it cannot be reinstated.
- You cannot increase your coverage after retirement.
You have 60 days from your retirement date to port or convert your remaining optional life insurance through The Standard.
Use the Optional Life Insurance Calculator to determine your monthly premium.
- You cannot continue optional life insurance coverage on your spouse into retirement.
- When life insurance coverage for your spouse ends, you have 60 days to convert coverage to an individual life insurance policy or buy portable group life insurance.
Child(ren) Continuing Coverage
- To retain life insurance coverage for your dependent child(ren) you must complete the Retain/Terminate Dependent Child Life Insurance form prior to the payment of your first retirement benefit.
- Coverage is $10,000 per eligible child.
- Your cost for child coverage is $2 per eligible child, regardless of the number of children you cover.
- Basic & Optional Life Insurance Handbook
- The Standard - Benefits at a Glance for MOSERS Members
- Benefit Providers
- Continued Dependent Life Insurance for a Disabled Child
- Designation of Life Insurance Beneficiaries
- Group Life Portability Insurance Application
- Life Insurance Rates
- Life Services Toolkit flyer
- Life Services Toolkit website (Username "assurance")
- Travel Assistance Service Overview
- Travel Assistance Flyer