Congratulations - You're Vested!
What does vesting mean?
- You are eligible for a future pension benefit. This is a major milestone!
- You can start getting payments once you also meet the age requirement of your plan and complete the retirement process.
- You remain eligible for a future pension benefit – even if you leave state government before you reach your retirement age. We will contact you approximately 120 days prior to when you are first eligible. So, it is important that you keep your contact information updated (mail, email, phone numbers).
- You don't need to do anything - just keep working! Since your benefit is based on a formula, the longer you work for the state, the higher your future benefit will be.
- You may be able to purchase or transfer prior service credit and combine it with your MOSERS service. To qualify, your prior service must be full-time, nonfederal, public (government) employment rendered in Missouri.
How do I know if I'm vested?
- As a general state employee, once you have worked for 5 years in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position, you are vested.
- If you are actively employed in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position, we will send you an Annual Benefit Statement every spring. We will include your service credit and vesting information.
- We will notify you once you become vested.