Transfers Quick-Reference GuideDec 13, 2022, 2:21 PM By MOSERS
A “transfer”, as MOSERS defines it, occurs when an employee moves from one MOSERS-covered agency to another without a 30-day break in service or when an employee moves from one org/section to another org/section within the same agency.
When a transfer occurs, MOSERS needs a record of where the employee left and where the employee is going to ensure the continuity of the employee’s benefits through MOSERS.
The action you take to report the activity to MOSERS depends on the circumstances.
Here’s a quick-reference guide we hope will help you in those situations:
*If you have a group of employees moving from one org/section to another org/section within your agency rather than an individual employee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can initiate a mass transfer of employees on your behalf without you having to submit individual Transfer forms.
CURP TransfersOct 13, 2022, 7:44 AM By MOSERS
Attention University Employers: After participating in the College and University Retirement Plan (CURP) for at least six years, and while still employed in a CURP-covered position, an employee may elect to transfer their membership to the Missouri State Employees’ Plan 2011 (MSEP 2011). Please note that HR should submit the Transfer of CURP Membership form to MOSERS and enter the member into SEBES.Enrolling through SEBES is a new step in this process so we want to draw your attention to this change. See Transferring from CURP to MOSERS for more information.
CURP TransfersOct 13, 2021, 8:26 AM By MOSERSAttention University Employers: After participating in the College and University Retirement Plan (CURP) for at least six years, and while still employed in a CURP-covered position, an employee may elect to transfer their membership to the Missouri State Employees’ Plan 2011 (MSEP 2011). Please note that HR should mail the Transfer of CURP Membership form to MOSERS and ALSO enter the member into SEBES. When completing the SEBES entry, the date of transfer to MOSERS (their first day with MOSERS) should be entered as the hire date. See Transferring from CURP to MOSERS for more information.
Internal TransfersAug 16, 2021, 10:43 AM By MOSERS
Please note that a transfer form should be submitted to report the internal transfer of an employee. An internal transfer is when an employee moves from one organization or section to another within the same agency or department, this includes moving from one facility or work location to another within the same agency or department.
The transfer form alerts MOSERS of a change in pay location for the employee and their service records are updated accordingly. Submitting the transfer form is important to help MOSERS maintain accurate service records and ensure the salary received for an employee aligns with their service.
Timely SubmissionsFeb 17, 2021, 12:50 PM By MOSERS
Maintaining accurate service records is vital in the calculation/determination of benefits for MOSERS members. It is very important that you submit termination, transfer, and leave of absence/back to work forms in a timely manner through the MOSERS Employer Portal. We appreciate your continued support in making these processes smooth and efficient for you and your employees.
- Report the last day the employee was actively employed by your agency, this includes the last day worked or on leave (paid or unpaid).
- If you are a SAMII agency, the termination date entered on the form is typically one day earlier than the termination date used in SAMII.
- If an employee is terminating at the end of a pay period, and the pay period ends on a regularly scheduled day off, please submit the termination date as the last day of the pay period.
- An employee’s date of termination and payroll must agree.
- Example: If an employee’s last day of work is on January 31, they should receive payroll for the full month of January.
- If there is a date difference between the last day worked (or on paid leave) and the date of termination, submit a Leave of Absence form for the period between the last time worked or when the leave was exhausted to the date of termination.
- Example: Termination date 3/14/2021 — no payrolls received for March 31 payroll
- Submit a leave form effective 3/1/2021 to term date of 3/14/2021.
- If an employee is retiring directly from active employment, use the last day of the month in which they were actively employed by your agency as the termination date.
- Example: Retirement date is 4/1/2021 = Termination date of 3/31/2021
- Please submit the employee’s termination form no later than the first week of the month in which he/she is retiring.
- Be cautious about submitting a termination form too early (i.e., two months or earlier). Once the form has been submitted online, it automatically updates the employee’s records in our system and shows them as terminated. The employee then may no longer be able to generate benefit estimates using myMOSERS.
- If the employee has not missed 30 calendar days of payroll and is transferring employment from one state agency to another (in a MOSERS-covered benefit-eligible position):
- The hiring agency must complete the Transfer of Employment form.
- The previous employer must complete the Termination of Employment form.
- Exceptions for completing a transfer form:
- Employees returning to state employment who have missed 30 calendar days of payroll.
- Employees transferring from the Department of Conservation, Highway Patrol, Department of Transportations, or a state college/university (except State Technical College of Missouri and Lincoln University), which are not covered by MOSERS' life insurance plan.
- If either exception exists, the hiring agency should enroll the employee in SEBES rather than submitting a transfer form.
Leave of Absence
- MOSERS requires the agency to report a leave of absence using the first full day the employee is in an unpaid status as the effective date of leave.
- Report to MOSERS when the employee returns to work.
12/31/20 DEADLINE: TRANSFERS FROM CURP TO MSEP 2000Dec 18, 2020, 1:34 PM By MOSERS
Attention CURP Employers!
Please remind your eligible employees of the recent amendment to the MOSERS Transfer of CURP Membership rule. Participants in CURP who were employed prior to January 1, 2011 and who wish to transfer from CURP to the MSEP 2000 defined benefit pension plan, must have the transfer form filled out, signed, and to their HR department on or before December 31, 2020. Please visit the CURP page of our website and see below for additional information.
On November 19, 2020, the Missouri State Employees’ Retirement System (MOSERS) Board of Trustees amended the Transfer of CURP Membership rule.
Effective January 1, 2021, after participating in CURP for at least six years and still employed in a CURP covered position, you may elect to transfer from CURP to the MSEP 2011 defined benefit pension plan administered by MOSERS.
A MOSERS defined benefit pension provides a guaranteed lifetime benefit amount based on years-of-service (from transfer date) x final average pay x a multiplier in addition to a possible temporary benefit until age 62. Upon transfer,
- You will immediately become a vested member of the MSEP 2011. As a member of the MSEP 2011, you must contribute 4% of pay to MOSERS.
- You must meet age and service requirements. The MOSERS MSEP 2011 defined benefit pension plan’s normal retirement is age 67 or earlier (minimum age 55) if retirement age and service under MOSERS equals 90.
- You won’t receive credit in MOSERS for service rendered while participating in CURP. Your MOSERS pension benefit will be calculated based on your MOSERS service only.
- You will forfeit all rights to future participation in CURP (i.e., you can’t go back to CURP). However, you’ll continue to own and control your CURP account with TIAA.
For calculation purposes, the six-year period begins after you’re initially employed in a position covered by the CURP and ends six years later. It includes time for breaks in service, sabbaticals or leaves of absence. If you have questions about the MSEP 2011 defined benefit pension plan, please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor at (800) 827-1063.
If you have approached or are approaching eligibility to participate in this transfer provision, please review the Transferring from CURP to MOSERS Brochure.
Annual Benefit Statement
Separation of Service