Death Before Retirement
If a MOSERS member dies prior to retirement, the member’s eligible spouse or child(ren) may be entitled to survivor benefits. Follow the links below to pertinent sections of the member handbook for more detailed information
Members of MSEP/MSEP 2000 (In general, these are MOSERS members employed prior to 1/1/2011)
Members of MSEP 2011 (MOSERS members first employed on or after 1/1/2011)
Death After Retirement
Survivor Benefits Upon the Death of the MOSERS Member
“Pop-Up” Provision Upon the Death of a Member’s Spouse if a Joint & Survivor Option was Elected
Final Payment from MOSERS
When a MOSERS member dies, a final monthly benefit will be issued the last working day of the month in which the member dies. Members should ensure information about the beneficiary of the final payment is up to date. More information.
Survivors of a member with life insurance through MOSERS should contact MOSERS as soon as is reasonably possible after the death has occurred. They will be guided through the process of filing a life insurance claim.
In order to safeguard system assets, MOSERS is constantly working to prevent and detect fraud.
A survivor of a benefit recipient, or someone who has a joint account with or is responsible for receiving a payment on behalf of a benefit recipient should notify MOSERS, as soon as possible, of the death of a benefit recipient. Notification will help prevent benefit overpayments and subsequent legal actions to recover any overpayments. Notification will also facilitate other benefit payments that may be due after the death of the member such as any final payment(s) due a beneficiary, survivor payment(s), life insurance proceeds, and/or refund of contributions.
MOSERS will prosecute cases of suspected fraud. Contact MOSERS at (800) 827-1063 or at email@example.com. Learn more and/or report suspected fraud anonymously on MOSERS’ website.
Steps for Survivors
MOSERS will need several forms completed in order to initiate life insurance and/or survivor benefits in the event of a member's death.
It is usually best to contact a benefit counselor to verify eligibility and to be sure you proceed appropriately, especially if you are the survivor of a judge or administrative law judge.
Generally, what you will need to provide will be:
- Certified copy of the death certificate
- Original funeral assignment paperwork and itemized funeral expenses (if any)
- Application for Survivor Benefits - please contact a MOSERS benefit counselor to request a customized form (800-827-1063 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Designation of Agent form (if beneficiary is age 18 or older)
- Direct Deposit Authorization form
- Tax Withholding form
- Affidavit of Natural Parent (if beneficiary is under age 18)
- Affidavit of Family Member (if survivor is disabled or incompetent)
If you are a MOSERS member and your spouse dies, submit the following to pop-up member's benefit to Life Income Annuity:
- Photocopy of the death certificate
- Designation of Life Insurance Beneficiaries form (if applicable)
- Change Beneficiary to Receive Final Payment form
- If you elected a joint and survivor option when you retired and your spouse precedes you in death, should you remarry, you will have one year from your date of marriage to elect a survivor benefit for your new spouse. This is referred to as a "pop-down."
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader® to view these files. Adobe, the Adobe logo and Acrobat are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.