Ready to Retire?
The key to successfully navigating the retirement process is knowing what to do and where to start. Use the following information and retirement resources to help make your retirement experience as pleasant and stress-free as possible.
Before You Begin...
MOSERS Retirement Process ‒ Before your benefit payments can begin, MOSERS will require you to complete a 2-Step retirement process. This process, which involves your submission of several important forms, allows MOSERS to provide you with pertinent information needed to make informed decisions regarding your future benefit payment. Use the Retirement Guide to assist you. This summary of the retirement process includes a detailed explanation of each form as well as a Smart Start Checklist of information you should have readily available before you apply.
Other Benefit Providers ‒ MOSERS is not the only administrator you will need to contact. As a state employee, your comprehensive benefit package is administered by various providers. The Destination Retirement brochure provides you with a “retirement itinerary” and checklist of places to go and things to do. Use this great resource to help you coordinate the entire retirement process.
- Employer Notification ‒ If you are actively employed with a state agency when you apply for retirement, remember to check with your human resources office and follow your employer’s termination process which is separate from applying for retirement with MOSERS.
When You're Ready…
- Retire Online ‒ The easiest and most convenient way to apply for retirement is online. Simply log in to your Member Homepage using your MOSERS online ID and password, then select Retire Online from the menu. As you complete the forms in Steps 1 and 2 of the retirement process, checkmarks will appear in the progress bar on the left side of the screen. Complete both steps all at once or leave and come back later. If you choose not to retire online, you may request a personalized Retirement Application from a benefit counselor who will guide you through completing the 2-Step retirement process on paper.
- Form Deadlines ‒ It is important to note there are specific due dates required for submission of your Retirement Application and Retirement Election Form. If you do not submit these forms by their deadline, your retirement benefit will be delayed.
- Benefit Counselors ‒ Benefit counselors are a valuable source for information and assistance regarding your benefits. They can explain the different plan provisions, provide you with a benefit estimate, and counsel you regarding your benefit options. If you have questions regarding your MOSERS retirement benefits or need assistance completing or submitting forms, call (800) 827-1063 or (573) 632-6100 and a benefit counselor will be happy to assist you. To make an appointment to personally meet with a benefit counselor at our office, call the number above and select Option 2 to schedule a time. Our office is located at 907 Wildwood Dr, Jefferson City, MO.
- Videos ‒ MOSERS produces and posts a variety of informational videos online. Available to you anytime, these videos are especially convenient if you need information after business hours (Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.). Watch the Retire Online video for more information or to answer questions you may have regarding the retirement process.
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader® to view these files. Adobe, the Adobe logo and Acrobat are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.