You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers
[Posted on 03/15/2017 at 11:51 AM]
During the legislative session, we get lots of questions about retirement benefits and possible changes. We update Rumor Central with the latest questions and rumors submitted to MOSERS. Find out how you can search the blog, submit a question, or receive weekly email notifications.
MOSERS' Rumor Central blog is a way of separating fact from fiction on retirement, life insurance, and long-term disability questions about benefits administered by MOSERS.
Search the blog for questions related to your topic to see if someone has already asked about it. At the top of the blog, click Categories. Topics are listed alphabetically. For example, click on BackDROP and you'll see all the questions we've answered on BackDROP with the most recent listed first.
Ask us a question if you don't see your specific topic addressed. Submit a Rumor Central question on the online form. If it is related to retirement, life insurance or long-term disability benefits that we administer, we'll send you a response letting you know it's been posted. If it isn't related to the benefits we administer, we may direct you to the appropriate benefit provider.
Read the blog when there are new posts. If you subscribe to Rumor Central email notifications, you will receive an email on Friday of that week letting you know we have posted something new. Use the Member Login to get to your personal homepage. Under Personal Information, choose Email Options and check Rumor Central to automatically receive weekly email updates when we publish new information.
As an example, below is a recent question and our response.
Is my retirement high three year average based on my base pay or is it based on my gross pay? (gross pay being base pay plus all overtime pay that was cashed out.)
Your pension benefit uses your gross pay (before taxes, health insurance, cafeteria plan, etc. and may include overtime pay and holiday pay). Pay is one part of the three-part formula for general state employees:
Final Average Pay (FAP) x Credited Service x Multiplier = Monthly Base Benefit
- FAP is the average of your highest 36 full consecutive months of gross pay no matter where in your work history that may fall. Practically speaking, for most, it is during their last three years, but not always. (Note: If you become eligible for and elect the BackDROP upon retirement, your FAP will be calculated using your MOSERS-covered work history prior to your BackDROP date.)
- Credited Service is the amount of time (in years & months) that you have worked in a MOSERS benefit-eligible position (added to any service credit that you may have purchased or transferred).
- Multiplier – The multiplier for MSEP is 1.6% (0.016); for MSEP 2000 & MSEP 2011 it is 1.7% (0.017).
As an example, let’s use the following assumptions:
- Final Average Pay - $2,600.00
- Credited Service - 25 Years 3 Months
- MSEP 2000 Multiplier - 1.7% (.017)
$2,600.00 x 25.25 x .017 = $1,116.05 in monthly pension benefits from MOSERS
See Which Plan Am I In? to determine if you are a member of the MSEP, MSEP 2000, or MSEP 2011 and to find summaries of benefits, brochures, handbooks, videos and more. Use the Member Login to access your own individual information, see when you are eligible to retire, print a benefit estimate, and retire online when you are Ready to Retire.
Read this and many more posts on our Rumor Central blog.
Submit a Rumor Central Question
If you would like a direct response to a question, please include your name and email address below. If we post your question to Rumor Central, we won’t use your name, email address or any other individually identifying information.
If you have a general comment or benefits related question, please email us instead.