Facts About MOSERS Long-Term Disability Insurance
[Posted on 09/24/2015 at 11:24 AM]
Long-term disability (LTD) insurance through MOSERS is a valuable benefit that most state employees don't know about until they need it. Here's a reminder of some of the highlights of LTD insurance:
- Ensures income replacement during disability: After your benefit waiting period, you will get 60% replacement of your pre-disability earnings less any deductible income.
- The state provides LTD insurance at no cost to you: Your monthly LTD insurance premiums will be paid for by your employer (unless you are on an approved leave of absence).
- 24 Month "Own-Occupation Provision": After 24 months, you must be disabled for any occupation that fits within education, training or experience to continue to receive LTD benefits.
- Continue to accrue credible service toward retirement benefits: For retirement purposes only, you will continue to accrue service and salary credit while receiving disability benefits (as if you were still working).
- Survivor benefit: If you die while receiving LTD benefits, The Standard will pay a lump-sum survivor benefit equal to three times your monthly LTD benefit without reduction by deductible income.
- Workplace Possibilities program: Standard Insurance Company will assist members in staying at their jobs by providing accommodations at their workplace, such as a modified workstation, special chair, or ergonomic keyboard.
For more information, view our online video on LTD benefits or read the Long-Term Disability handbook.
*MOSERS’ long-term disability benefits are not available to employees of state colleges and universities (except State Technical College of Missouri and Lincoln University).
Comments or questions for MOSERS?
Your opinions and questions are important to us. If you would like a direct response to a question, please include your name and email address below. If your feedback involves an email you received from MOSERS, please include the subject of that email with your comments below.
Help us help others. If you have a question, others may too.
If your question is of general interest and has not already been addressed on Rumor Central, we may post it there. We won’t use your name, email address or any other individually identifying information.