Purchase/Transfer of Service
Members may be able to increase their total service and retirement benefit. Once vested, they are guaranteed a lifetime retirement benefit upon meeting certain age and service requirements (unless, it a member of a contribution plan, they elect to take a refund or contribution).
Encourage your members to inquire about prior service credit as soon as possible! There may be deadlines involved. Some service may be acquired at no charge and some service must be purchased. The longer the member waits to purchase service, the more he/she will pay.
- MSEP 2011: Only other full-time, non-federal Missouri government service may be transferred or purchased (at full actuarial rates).
- Members in the MSEP 2000 cannot purchase service until they are vested.
- If the service a member is considering for purchase is NOT covered by social security, the member should contact a social security office to discuss what implications the purchase will have on future social security benefits.
- MSEP Provision - Under Section 104.344, RSMo, active employees may purchase up to four years of full-time, nonfederal, Missouri government employment at a reduced rate. To be eligible, the member cannot be vested in another retirement plan for the same period of service.
- MSEP 2000 Provision - Section 104.1090, RSMo, allows active employees who have been employed in a MOSERS-covered position for at least ten years to receive credit for vested service from another public retirement system in Missouri, if there is an agreement between MOSERS and the other system.
See the MSEP/MSEP 2000 Acquiring Service Credit brochure (or the MSEP 2011 Acquiring Service Credit brochure) on MOSERS’ website for additional information.
The purchase or transfer of service must be completed prior to the date the member applies for retirement.
Full-Time and Part-Time Positions
It is not uncommon for a state employee to work simultaneously in a full-time (benefit-eligible) position at one agency and a part-time position (not eligible for benefits) at another. This is a reminder that:
- The employee will receive one day of service credit for each day worked in the benefit-eligible position.
- Retirement contributions must be paid for both the full-time and part-time positions. When calculating the employee’s retirement benefit, MOSERS will combine the salary of both positions (except judges with second appointments).
- Basic life insurance and long-term disability (LTD) contributions should be made for the full-time position only (not part-time).
Does the Employer Pay Contributions?
|Type of Contribution
||Primary Job (benefit-eligible)
||Secondary Job (non-benefit-eligible)
Application to Correct Service
This form may be completed and submitted online through the secure Employer Homepage under the Forms menu option.
- Use this application to correct the service credit records of an employee who did not receive credit at the time of service.
- The human resource personnel of the department or agency that employed the member for the date(s) in question must complete this application.
- Before the service can be added to the member’s record, the department or agency must agree to pay MOSERS any necessary contributions for the period of service.
- To qualify for service credit, the employee must have been employed in a position that normally required:
Or, the employee must have been misclassified at the time of hire.
- At least 1,040 hours of work per year, effective August 28, 2007.
- At least 1,000 hours of work per year, prior to August 28, 2007.
- At least 1,500 hours of work per year, prior to October 1984.
- The Office of Administration must approve any corrections for SAM II employees.